Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have had trouble in the past with not getting my chocolate chip cookies to be just right. They were either flat or too "cakey". This recipe is the best ever. If I follow the recipe, they really do turn out perfect every time. Of course, that is if I follow the recipe because sometimes I do like to experiment! Also, I have substituted half wheat flour for the white and they still turned out really good.

By the way, this is a freezer recipe. You make up the dough and you can either freeze it in a log shape and you have your own slice-and-bake cookies. Or, you can use a small ice cream scoop and put the scoops on a pan and flash freeze and then put those into a big gallon freezer bag for later use!

3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (I don't love nuts in my cookies so I omit these)
1 bag (12 oz.) semisweet schocolate chips (2 cups)

1. Heat oven to 375 Degrees F.

2. In a large bowl, beat sugars, butter, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt (dough will be stiff). Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.

3. On ungreased cookies sheet, drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart.

4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until light brown (centers will be soft). Cool 1 to 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.

*If using self-rising flour, omit baking soda and salt.


The trick for me to get pretty much perfect cookies every time is that I bake them for only 8 minutes and then I take them out and leave them on the pan for a few more minutes to finish “baking”.

No comments: